Thursday, October 12, 2006

Java Unit Conversion Calculator

I've been playing around with some Java programming using Sun's NetBeans 5.5 IDE, primarily for the Matisse GUI builder. As a programming exercise, I reimplemented a little Unit conversion calculator (things like inches to feet as well as a lot more exotic stuff) that I originally wrote and sold as a Windows shareware application way back when. Unfortunately, that app used some old Win16 libraries so it was sort of broken on current systems.

In any case, this new app largely recreates the previous version's function and it's in Java, so it should run on anything with reasonable graphics that has J2SE 5.0 or later installed. I've tested it on Windows XP and SUSE LINUX 10. It could still stand some polishing; e.g. it doesn't have an installer. But it appears to basically work. You can download it here: jconvert02.zip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, good day, I found your page when searching Google for unit conversions. I have unit converter pages online, would you please be interested in placing my website's link (code below) on your page with the unit conversion table? Thank you very much.

Convert To dot com

Remis B said...

Very impressed with conversion richness. Can confirm that it perfectly runs on Mac OS X, but has some look and feel issues. Another suggestion would be to place this application on google code, java.net or any other place.
Regards Remis B.

Gordon Haff said...

Thanks Remis. Yeah, I should move this over to an online code repository. I did the port to Java mostly to fiddle around with the language; I'm certainly not a guru.

Anonymous said...

HELLO Remis plzzzz email me "Java Unit Conversion Calculator" code its very urgent... email::iqroshan_07@yahoo.com